When you aren’t expecting something bad to happen, your first thought is that it can’t be happening. And if you’ve never considered fighting back, well if you plan nothing, then you will execute your plan. Attempted murder survivor tells women to fight back – The Daily Universe
First let’s deal with the failures of 911. Several people called 911 – including the two sisters whose home was invaded. (One of whom would be stabbed before the night was over.) The result was not as advertised.
Although both women and several neighbors called 911 during that time, none of the calls was dispatched.
Say it again. The result of calling 911 to report a home-invasion attack in progress resulted in NO cops being sent. An off-duty cop who chanced to hear the call for help, stopped and he killed the attacker.
So today, Bre Lasley teaches that women need to defend themselves.
After speaking to people in the police department following the attack, Lasley learned only 20 percent of women fight back against their attackers, leaving 80 percent of women to be raped, murdered or both.
Lasley said she fell into the 80 percent category in the beginning. She felt completely frozen while her attacker was beating her. It wasn’t until her sister came upstairs, screaming and swinging punches, that Lasley said she got the motivation to start fighting for her life.
So self-defense is mostly about attitude. “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men” Heinlein wrote that in the 1950s (as part of Starship Troopers), so I guess we will forgive him for his leaving out half the population. I would include women in that.
But self-defense in the absence of the tools of self-defense, is a problem. (See the rest of this blog for my true feelings on the subject.) Still attitude does come first.
This statistic [the 80/20 split listed above] became the foundation of Fight Like Girls, a self-defense program Lasley started with sexual assault survivor Elizabeth Smart to help women everywhere fight their physical, mental and emotional battles.